The brand new AAC app from Therapy Box, ChatAble has just been released on the App Store – (literally hours ago!) and we were lucky enough to get our hands on a copy to check it out.
Therapy Box are well known for their quality AAC apps such as the text based Predictable, and Scene & Heard which focuses on the use of visual scene displays for communication rather than the traditional grid based displays, but their new app, ChatAble combines both grid and scene based communication for more flexibility and potential.
Features of ChatAble:
- A comprehensive set of over 1200 Widgit symbols included
- Ability to create pages with both symbols displayed in a grid and a visual scene display, referred to as hybrid pages
- User can import own images direct from their camera roll
- Choice of 12 voices, including a female and male Australian accent
- Has a text to speech option vis the in built Apple keyboard, and also a handwriting input option similar to the one in Predictable
- Direct access and Switch accessible
- Other access method options for direct access including key hold time and force delay for those with inaccurate selection, and for switch access including auditory scanning
- Message sharing via social media and email
- Keeps data on message history to easily retrieve recent messages
- In built app support via the users guide and through direct email with Therapy Box
My first impressions?? The app seems fairly intuitive to program, I was able to jump right in and start creating new pages with grids, visual scene displays and a combination of both – always a good sign and means you don’t have to spend too much time getting to know yet another app manual. But also good to know that the support features are there if you get stuck and need some help. I like the flexible input options such as using the grids, scenes, keyboard and handwriting – allowing for a wider variety of users, and to provide a system for today and tomorrow as the person’s skills change. Also great to have the access options for the same reasons.
I have created a very brief introductory video for you to see some of the features that ChatAble provides, check it out here:
Want some more good news?? It is currently 50% off for a limited time – so now is the time to evaluate whether it could be the solution you have been looking for.