Lightwriter SL40 Connect
by Toby Churchill Ltd
Speak to anyone, anywhere, face-to-face or just give them a call!
Now available in Australia
Much more than a smooth talker!
In one small package, the Lightwriter SL40 Connect is a new addition to the Lightwriter SL40 product range. Not only does this exciting text-to-speech communication aid provide the capabilities to communicate efficiently and effectively either through face to face communication or by SMS texting, but the SL40 Connect gives the user the ability to make mobile phone calls from this small compact device at home or when you are out and about.
Features and Benefits
- User-friendly, intuitive interface – Easy to use in all functions
- Out-facing daylight-readable display – Encourages conversational interaction in all settings
- NaturalSelection prediction – Faster communication
Your Lightwriter will automatically remember the words and phrases you type and how you use them. As you begin to communicate it will predict what you are most likely to enter next, and will display several options on screen to make conversation and typing quicker and easier.
- High-quality Acapela voices – Improved intelligibility with intonation
The SL40 is available with US and UK High Quality Acapela Speech engines.
- Mobile phone capabilities – Use the voice synthesiser to make phone calls and use SMS to send text messages
SMS texting on the SL40 operates in the same way as from a mobile phone, sending and receiving short typed messages to and from any other phone, Lightwriter SL40, or other device with SMS capability. Now users have the power to communicate over large distances at their fingertips with the Lightwriter SL40!
Please note: SIM card required. This has now been tested and worked successful with Telstra SIM cards.
- Backup, transfer and restore – Transfer text documents, back up and restore personalised words and phrases to and from a PC using a USB memory stick.
- Trainable Infra-Red Remote (environmental control) – Extending the world of AAC to control basic IR controlled devices in the home
The SL40 has an infrared transmitter built-in which uses infrared to operate different devices around the home, for example appliances (such as televisions and stereos), toys, and some home control systems. Please note that there are some exceptions which will not work with the SL40.
- Adjustable keyboard – Suitable for a wide range of users
There are many ways in which you can adapt the SL40 keyboard to suit individual needs.
- Changing the Keyguard
Each Lightwriter SL40 is shipped with 3 changeable keyguards, which provide optional barriers of varying depths around the edges of the keys. This can help users to improve their typing accuracy.
- Keyboard Layout
The SL40 keyboard setup can be changed to either QWERTY or ABC layouts, depending on user preference.
- Key Settings
The time a key must be pressed for to register and the minimum time between pressing keys can both be adjusted in milliseconds. These will again help each individual to improve their typing accuracy.
- Changing the Keyguard
- Easy-to-use Activity Bar – Choose from the activity menu bar to navigate all the features.
- Robust, ergonomic and lightweight design
- Extensive memory capacity
- Notebook mode for storage and speech of longer texts
- Alarm clock and Phone/Contact book functions
- Easy-to-use set up wizard
- Long-life, rechargeable battery
- Available in black or white
The Lightwriter SL40 Connect package includes:
- Two year limited warranty
- Three keyguard options (normal, medium and deep)
- Carry bag and strap set (carry handle/2 adjustable straps and fittings)
- Keyguard tools (screw-driver, key-ring and tool)
- Quickstart and user guides
Optional in-car chargers and mounting systems are available.
Lightwriter SL40 Connect Specifications
|Overall Size||240mm x 140mm x 55mm|
|Keyboard Layouts||Standard QWERTY, changeable to ABC|
|Keyboard Adjustments||Key Hold Time and Key Tremor adjustable|
|Keyguards||Normal, medium and deep keyguards included with fitting tools|
|Displays||2 displays: 1 facing user, 1 facing away. Standard Liquid Crystal Display back-lighted|
|Speech||Acapela HQ UK and US English (male and female voice) natural voice speech|
|SMS Text messaging||Siemens GSM messaging module (fit your own SIM card – tested and worked successful with Telstra SIM cards. Other service providers have not yet been fully tested.)|
|Power||Rechargeable nickel-metal hydride battery|
|Battery Duration||All-day battery life with standard usage of 10% duty cycle|
This product is available for trial through Spectronics’ Equipment Trial Scheme.
Please click here for more information about this scheme and for equipment trial forms.
Videos about Lightwriter SL40
View / Download
- SL40 User Guide (1.7 MB)
Lightwriter SL40 Connect is targeted at the following age ranges:
- Mid Primary
- Upper Primary
- Secondary School
Lightwriter SL40 Connect is designed to foster development in the areas of:
- Environmental control
Users can access Lightwriter SL40 Connect in the following ways:
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and technical support visit:
Add items to your shopping list for creating an online quote, or purchasing them securely online.
Simply "tick" the boxes next to each item then click "Add Selected Items to List".
Freight free shipping anywhere within Australia or New Zealand!
Prices are listed in Australian Dollars