Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows - Multi-user Network Purchase Options
by Kurzweil Educational Systems
Multi-user Network options offer an economical way to purchase the Kurzweil 3000 program
For the purposes of cumulative licence pricing, the program must be purchased by a specific entity or “site”. This would include a single district, school, university or college etc. The “site” should have a central point of contact and purchase orders should come from one primary source or contact.
The Network Edition of Kurzweil 3000 for Windows allows students to log on from any networked computer running Kurzweil 3000 and access their personal settings and files. Educators and network administrators can centrally track student usage and progress and control the number of licences in use.
The Network Edition software may be installed on an unlimited number of computers within a network, however, the number of users simultaneously operating the software at a given time is strictly limited to the number of licences purchased.
This edition involves a floating license server component. Licences are installed from a USB Keydisk to a licence manager hosted by the customer server.
In addition, the Licence-to-Go feature allows granting of licences to users’ laptop computers, so users can access Kurzweil 3000 without being connected to the network. As a result, teachers and students benefit alike by accessing Kurzweil 3000 in or out of the classroom. For instance, if a teacher wants to take work home or have a meeting with a student’s parents to show Kurzweil 3000, or if a student needs to do homework, Kurzweil 3000 is available whenever and wherever they are.
Kurzweil 3000 Network Edition Features include:
Licence-to-Go provides an easy way for network users to access Kurzweil 3000 without being physically connected to the network. Schools can grant licences “to go” to any computer, enabling usage of Kurzweil 3000 on that computer in or out of the classroom – whether at the library, resource room or even at home. Teachers or IT administrators can control the usage of the licence by specifying the length of time that the licence remains valid.
A licence can be issued for up to one year. The licence term options are Hours (1 to 23 hours), Day (1 to 6 days), Week (1 to 4 weeks) or Month (1 to 12 months). When a licence is granted to the Client machine, the Network Engine machine has one less licence available for access.
To activate Licence-to-Go initially, the computer must be physically connected to the network. For computers that cannot be connected to the network in order to activate Licence-to-Go, there is Remote Licence-to-Go which generates a code based on the computer a student is using. The code can be entered manually or emailed to the student to grant a licence of a specific product for a specific period of time. For Remote Licence-to-Go, there is a Remote Client DVD that a student must take home to install Kurzweil 3000. Schools are allowed to make additional copies of the Remote Client DVD.
It is important to note that when a licence is granted to the Client machine, the Server machine has one less licence available for access.
In the Kurzweil 3000 Administrator, there is a Licence-to-Go status option that tracks who has checked out licences, when they checked out the licence and when the licence expires. When the licence expires, the Client can no longer use the licence since the Network Engine has automatically regained the licence. Users can also check in their licences at any time prior to its expiration.
- Remote Network Administration
Since Version 9, administering Kurzweil 3000 over a large network is even easier than before. It’s now possible to install the Administrator on a computer separate from the Kurzweil 3000 Server, then remotely perform a variety of Administrator tasks, from Licence Management and adding/removing accounts to disconnecting users and sending messages.
- Letter Writing Tools
This feature, which is similar to a mail merge, allows teachers to create, for example, weekly parent letters that detail a student’s interactions with Kurzweil 3000. The Create/Edit Form Letter Template and the Generate Letters features are accessible from the Reports menu in the Kurzweil 3000 Server Administrator program.
- More Logs Added to Help Teachers Track Student Progress
Logs include Word Help, which shows the words that users/students have looked up.
- Additional Network Management and Usage Features
- The ability by users to select the Kurzweil 3000 product they need in the Client software.
- The ability to suppress user name list, also part of the User Logon and Client Options setup, enables IT administrators to not let users see other user names on the Client.
- Adding multiple user accounts from a master file, enables IT administrators to list users in a .txt file, then in the Add New Users dialog, add the file.
- The ability by users to select the Kurzweil 3000 product they need in the Client software.
Web Licensing Edition
This edition involves a floating licence component that is web based (the licences are stored on the Cambium Learning server and an Internet connection is required for access). A user database is configured by the customer to allow for unique user logins to the server. Clients can be installed on as many machines – school, home, library, or other – as desired, where they would then pull licences from the server over their Internet connection. Web Licensing is best suited to school, district, or other wide-area implementation.
The Web Licensing Edition is a annual subscription. It allows a specific number of students with unique user logins to use the licence. The customer may have as many Teacher / Admin users as they wish.
With the installation of Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 Web License Edition teachers and program administrators have the ability to assign tasks for students, receive scores upon completion, and track general usage data. At the same time, students can now access coursework from any Internet computer that has Kurzweil 3000 client software installed; in addition to having access to course content and material from the Web Universal Library “cloud-based” storage.
Key Features and Benefits of Web Licensing
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL) technology that enables instruction in Least Restrictive Environments (LREs).
- Global availability makes it easy for individuals to maintain their customised preferences.
- Accessible tools wherever, whenever needed.
- Course materials and files available wherever, whenever needed.
For Teachers, Specialists, Directors of Studies, and Directors of Teaching and Learning:
- Organised means of assigning and receiving student work.
- Ability to track usage at all levels (student, teacher, class, school, and district/campus).
- Support ALL learners from lowest to highest performing.
- Meets the myriad needs of students from any service location.
- Usage data informs return on investment.
- Individual Educational Plan (IEP) benchmarks can be easily targeted.
- Addresses all tiers of Response to Intervention (RtI) anywhere, anytime.
- Web Universal Library (“cloud” storage) allows sharing of differentiated curriculum.
- Automated scoring of true/false, multiple choice, and matching questions saves time.
Building and School IT Administrators:
- “Cloud-based” Web Universal Library means no server space required for file storage.
Maintenance Program – Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 Web Licence includes a 1 year Maintenance Program for the first year of ownership. The Web Licence Maintenance Program covers all patches, upgrades, or updates to both Kurzweil 3000 client software and web-based services during the initial 12-months from purchase or upgrade and any subsequent period of time for which the Maintenance Program remains in effect. There will be an annual cost to remain active in the Maintenance Program after the first year of ownership.
Customers who choose to discontinue the Maintenance Program will NOT lose the ability to access and manage Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 Web Licences, use Kurzweil 3000 Web Licence Clients, or their Roaming User Profiles.
For more information on pricing of Maintenance Program please contact Spectronics.
You will have the right to make as many copies of the Take-home DVDs needed to support your teachers and/or students.
Contact Spectronics if you need more details about this option.
What’s included in your Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows package?
- Network Edition: Box, Box Insert, Serial Number, Admin Serial Number, Installation and Documentation DVD, Network USB LICENCE KEY, IS-eContent Card
- Web Licensing Edition: Box, Box Insert, V13 Installation and Documentation DVD, IS-eContent Card, Web Licensing Activation Card
Minimum System Requirements for Kurzweil 3000 Standalone / Network Client
- Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, 7 (64-bit compatible)
- Processor: 1.3 GHz
- Memory: 512 MB (1GB for 64-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7)
- Video Memory: 4 MB
- Hard Disk Space: 2 GB
- Display: 1024×768 24-bit colour or better
- Additional Requirements: DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, SoundBlaster 16-bit compatible sound card, speakers, microphone, TWAIN-compatible scanner for scanning (check scanner compatibility), Mozilla Firefox v3.5 or later or Microsoft Internet Explorer v7 or later for Read the Web functionality, Internet connection required for activation, Web Licensing and some features (Google Translate, Online Book Search, Read the Web, etc.)
- Research Paper: Scientifically Based Research Validating Kurzweil 3000 – An Annotated Review of Research Supporting the Use of Kurzweil 3000 in English Language Learner Classrooms
- Research Paper: Scientifically Based Research Validating Kurzweil 3000 – An Annotated Review of Current Research Supporting the Use of Kurzweil 3000 in the Classroom (328 KB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Supports Universal Design for Learning (180 KB)
- Five reasons to purchase Kurzweil 3000 (2 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows Information Sheet (1.3 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows Getting Started (739 KB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows Reference Guide (3.4 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows Standalone Installation and Administration Guide (678 KB)
- Kurzweil 3000 for Windows Network Installation and Administration Guide (1.3 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 for Windows Web License Guide (1.6 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 User Group Discussion List Sign Up
- Kurzweil 3000 Success Stories…
- Resources for use with Kurzweil 3000…
Online Training and Webinars
- Free Webinars by Cambium Learning Technologies
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and technical support visit: