Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows
by Kurzweil Educational Systems
Much more than a text reader... Kurzweil 3000 is an Integrated Literacy Solution
Kurzweil 3000 is a comprehensive reading, writing and learning software solution for any struggling reader, including individuals with learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, attention deficit disorder or those who are English as a second language (ESL) students.
Kurzweil 3000, is research based and enables struggling readers in grades 3 and above to learn from the same content as their peers as it provides access to virtually any text or curriculum, including print, electronic, and Web-based documents.
In addition, Kurzweil 3000 supports the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) enabling students of all abilities to engage with digital text. Kurzweil 3000 can be used at all levels within a multi-tiered system of support (such as Response to Intervention (RtI)) to prevent students’ academic performance from slipping.
See more screenshots of Kurzweil 3000.
Why buy Kurzweil 3000 Version 13?
- Kurzweil 3000 can address the diverse learning needs of students at all tiers
It embraces and supports the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) by making print and electronic material available to a broad spectrum of students. The software uses a multisensory approach – presenting print or electronic text on the computer screen with added visual and auditory accessibility.
- Kurzweil 3000 provides reliable digital access to core and supplemental curriculum content, tests, and quizzes while maintaining the formatting, images, and integrity of the original document
It includes the highest quality Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software available, which reproduces scanned print documents with the exact layout and formatting found in the original. Additionally, the document produced is in a format that leaves any alteration to the teacher, not the student.
- Kurzweil 3000 supports all the complex tasks of fluency, vocabulary development, comprehension, study skills, test taking, and the writing process
Kurzweil 3000 includes research-validated tools that support instructional best practices and are proven to help students learn.
- Kurzweil 3000 saves time by including all of the tools my students need in just one program, allowing them to learn it once and use it forever
It is the only program that provides the same user interface regardless of whether students are reading, writing, completing notes, or taking a test. It’s this elegant simplicity that allows students to learn it once and use it for a lifetime.
- Kurzweil 3000 can save money, plus deliver versatility and reliability
No product on the market can provide all these features in a single software application:
- Graphic organisation
- MP3 encoding
- Picture Dictionaries
- Talking word processor and spell-check
- Word prediction
- Study Skills support
- Column Notes
- Sticky Notes
- Bilingual Dictionaries
- Multi-lingual high quality text to speech
- American Heritage Dictionary
- Form creation, conversion, and completion tools
- Writing Templates and Rubrics
- Read-the-Web Access
- Test-Taking Tools
With Kurzweil 3000 Version 13. You can have it all.
- Anchored upon the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Support for all Response to Intervention (RtI) tiers of instruction
- Differentiation of instruction without differentiation of curriculum
- Access to all major digital file formats and printed materials
- A single user interface with all the tools necessary for academic success
- Support for fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, writing, study skills, and test-taking
- Research-based study skill and writing strategy tools
- A platform for whole class, small group, or individual instruction
Kurzweil 3000 Features and Benefits
Patented Dual Highlighting
Kurzweil 3000’s patented dual highlighting of on screen text improves students’ reading performance by highlighting a sentence, line or phrase in one colour and each word in another colour as it is read aloud.
Quick Access to Reference Lookup Tools
One-click access to word support, including recursive dictionaries, synonyms, syllables and word spelling helps students with decoding and keeps them actively reading when they reach passages they would otherwise have difficulty comprehending.
Use Bubble Notes for Powerful Instructional Support
Teachers can embed Bubble Notes containing questions and instructions to assigned reading to help students stay on task and support reading comprehension.
Powerful Study Skills
Students can improve their reading comprehension and retention with tools such as text highlighting, annotations, Bubble Notes, voice notes, bookmarks and extraction of outlines or word lists.
Flexible Writing Tools
As students type, they can use the check-spelling-while-typing and speak-while-typing features to quickly recognise and correct spelling mistakes. The audible spell checker and comprehensive Word Prediction feature further assist students with writing and editing reports, essays and papers independently.
Read the Web Using Mozilla Firefox
Kurzweil 3000 enhances audible and visual access to web pages with Mozilla Firefox, opening up the resources of the Internet to all students, while providing the same reading and reference features that users enjoy within Kurzweil 3000.
Version 13 Highlights
Simplification of software editions
There are no longer Professional Colour, Professional Black-and-White or LearnStation editions. There is just one Kurzweil 3000 edition that has all the functions of an equivalent Professional Colour version.
Version 13 enables documents to be scanned – in colour, opened, or converted into the Kurzweil 3000 format. You can create and prepare documents as well as use the powerful reading, writing and learning tools, all in one software edition!
Version 13 is beneficial for all including educational facilities who need to create quality onscreen reading materials with graphics (such as pictures, graphs) for their students. As well as making information more visually appealing to readers, including pictures in text can be an important way of helping the reader predict the content of the text. The ability to scan documents in colour ensures that same quality reading and test materials can be made available to all the students in the class.
Greater digital file accessibility
- NIMAS ready
- Output to DAISY 2 audio
- Save to DAISY 3
- Read the Web using Internet Explorer® or Mozilla Firefox
- MathML support with MathPlayer from Design Science, Inc.
- Multiple enhancements for working with PDF files
Increased Language Learning support
- Google Translator
- American Heritage® Human Pronunciations
- English and Spanish picture dictionaries
- Scan and recognise multiple languages in the same file
Additional research and process writing functions
- Reformatted Column Note utility
- Brainstorm to Review toolbar
- Improved Column Note, Outline, and Brainstorm workflow
- Direct access to Writing Templates from toolbar
- MP3 encoder available for audio file creation
- History feature in Talking Calculator retrieves past operations
- Updated OCR and NeoSpeech voices
- Read the Web for Internet Explorer 7 and 8
- Updated dictionaries and online help
Kurzweil 3000 Licensing Options
- Standalone – Ideal for single users
- Network – Best for building-wide usage. Install anywhere within the network – and use up to the purchased number of licences concurrently.
- Web Licensing – Differs from the Network Edition in several ways. Most importantly, software licences are managed via Web services hosted by Cambium Learning Technologies. In addition it allows students and teachers to install Kurzweil 3000 on any computer – school, home, library, or other as desired.
- USB Flash Drive – Take Kurzweil 3000 with you. Portable and convenient USB flash drive contains Kurzweil 3000 for Windows and 2.6GB of available storage with no installation.
“I love Kurzweil 3000 because it helps me do my work faster so I can keep up with the other kids.” – Zach Bryant, Student, Shiloh Middle School, Hampstead, MD, USA
“Hearing text read aloud by the computer is exceptionally important for ESL/EFL students, who rarely receive enough spoken input. Kurzweil 3000 reads word-processed documents, e-mail, scanned text, even Web pages. And it has excellent study tools: students can look up words in a glossary, highlight text, and create notes – and save it all into a built-in word processor for later review.” – Dr. Elizabeth Hanson – Smith, Professor Emeritus, California State University, Sacramento, CA, USA
What ‘s included in your Kurzweil 3000 for Windows Version 13 package?
Standalone Product Pack: Box, Box Insert, Serial Number, Installation and Documentation DVD, IS-eContent Card
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 USB Edition for Windows
- Phonics Funnies for Kurzweil 3000
- Power Readers for Kurzweil 3000
Videos about Kurzweil 3000 Version 12/13 for Windows
- Introduction to Assistive Technology for Students with Learning Disabilities Demo videos from Marlene McIntosh's YouTube channel...
- Kurzweil 3000 Student Testimonials YouTube videos...
- Kurzweil 3000 Overview video
- Shelby Nurse: Assistive Technology that Changes Lives (YouTube video)
- How To Video - Change Reading Options
- How To Video - Create Sticky Notes and Text Notes
- How To Video - Create, Publish and Assign a Scorable Document
- How To Video - Highlight and Circle Test Answers
- How To Video - Look Up Words
- How To Video - Monitor and Manage Assignments
- How To Video - Prepare a Test Document
- How To Video - Show or Hide Toolbars
- How To Video - Use Colour Highlights to Study
- How To Video - Use Language Supports
- How To Video - Use the Writing Path and Writing Views
- How To Video - Use Writing Supports
- How To Video - Work with a Fill in the Blanks Test
- How To Video - Work with Column Notes
- How To Video - Work with Kurzweil 3000
- How To Video - Working with VPORT videos (YouTube)... - Assist you in using VPORT to manage student accounts, monitor and manage assignments, and create a scorable document for publication and assignment.
- More YouTube videos about Kurzweil 3000... - Demonstrate the power of Kurzweil 3000 and its ability to help struggling learners
- Kurzweil 3000 Tutorial videos from Marlene McIntosh's YouTube channel...
Minimum System Requirements for Kurzweil 3000 Standalone / Network Client
- Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, 7 (64-bit compatible)
- Processor: 1.3 GHz
- Memory: 512 MB (1GB for 64-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7)
- Video Memory: 4 MB
- Hard Disk Space: 2 GB
- Display: 1024×768 24-bit colour or better
- Additional Requirements: DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, SoundBlaster 16-bit compatible sound card, speakers, microphone, TWAIN-compatible scanner for scanning (check scanner compatibility), Mozilla Firefox v3.5 or later or Microsoft Internet Explorer v7 or later for Read the Web functionality, Internet connection required for activation, Web Licensing and some features (Google Translate, Online Book Search, Read the Web, etc.)
- Research Paper: Scientifically Based Research Validating Kurzweil 3000 – An Annotated Review of Research Supporting the Use of Kurzweil 3000 in English Language Learner Classrooms
- Research Paper: Scientifically Based Research Validating Kurzweil 3000 – An Annotated Review of Current Research Supporting the Use of Kurzweil 3000 in the Classroom (328 KB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Supports Universal Design for Learning (180 KB)
- Five reasons to purchase Kurzweil 3000 (2 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows Information Sheet (1.3 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows Getting Started (739 KB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows Reference Guide (3.4 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows Standalone Installation and Administration Guide (678 KB)
- Kurzweil 3000 for Windows Network Installation and Administration Guide (1.3 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 for Windows Web Licensing Guide (1.6 MB)
- Kurzweil 3000 User Group Discussion List Sign Up
- Kurzweil 3000 Success Stories…
- Resources for use with Kurzweil 3000…
Online Training and Webinars
- Free Webinars by Cambium Learning Technologies
Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows is targeted at the following age ranges:
- Mid Primary
- Upper Primary
- Secondary School
Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows is designed to foster development in the areas of:
- Study Skills
Users can access Kurzweil 3000 Version 13 for Windows in the following ways:
- Mouse/ Trackball/ Joystick
- Single Switch
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and technical support visit: