by Mayer-Johnson, LLC
Transforming the way you create learning materials. And the way your students learn from them.
Available now in Australia with PCS Classic: 2000-2012 Addendums!
Boardmaker Studio continues – and makes massive strides in improvement – on the tradition of the Boardmaker Software Family, the most popular tools for creating and adapting classroom materials!
Boardmaker Studio delivers your favourite Boardmaker Software Family features, like your choice of authoring and editing tools, thousands of Picture Communication Symbols (PCS), hundreds of time-saving templates and more.
NEW! Two Installs – Boardmaker Studio now includes two installs, with the ability to access the software on one computer at a time. This means you are able to install Boardmaker Studio on your computer at work, and at home, allowing you more opportunities to create individualised learning activities.
New Easy-to-find Content
Looking for fun-filled activities to complement your lessons and challenge your students? Looking to save time creating them for your classroom? Now, with Boardmaker Studio, you can consider it done!
Find hundreds of time-savers, like easy-to-use Studio Starter Templates and Gadgets, that mean fast solutions for you and fun-filled activities for your students.
An Easy-to-use Interface that Gets Work Done
Easy on the eyes
Boardmaker Studio boasts a design that’s efficient and straightforward, making it easy-to-use. And with a clear toolbar, familiar menus and icons, organised templates and convenient project management tools, Boardmaker Studio is also easy to learn.
New Online Connect Dashboard
A true support system
Boardmaker Studio pulls out all of the stops to help you achieve classroom goals. With that much power, Boardmaker Studio Connect Dashboard was created to help you; it is your gateway to the activities you’re creating with Boardmaker Studio. It also instantly connects you with the community of Boardmaker Software Family users on Boardmaker Achieve Community!
A fresh spin on a familiar favourite
Boardmaker Studio stays true to is roots, and is a great tool for creating printed activities that are so important for teaching students with disabilities. Use Boardmaker Studio to import, edit and improve all of your Boardmaker print activities and most of your interactive Boardmaker Plus activities, too.
View Boardmaker Family Product Features Comparison to see the features of Boardmaker Studio, Boardmaker Plus! and Boardmaker.
Why should you consider Boardmaker Studio in preference to Boardmaker or Boardmaker Plus! Version 6?
Boardmaker Studio is most useful if you…
- Are new to Boardmaker and don’t have a particular preference for the traditional Boardmaker user interface;
- Are familiar with Microsoft Office-type applications and prefer to use software with those familiar icons and menus;
- Are uncomfortable using many of the advanced interactive features of Boardmaker Plus! but may be willing to create activities from the powerful Studio Starter templates built into Boardmaker Studio;
Remember! It’s faster to create professional print and interactive activities. With over 150 pre-made templates, all you have to do is add symbols to each activity.
- Need to adapt lots of activities on various instructional topics for students with diverse needs ( as Boardmaker Studio lets you create and adapt activities faster than you could with Boardmaker Plus!);
Remember! It’s easier to create activities from scratch. Simply drag pre-programmed tools (gadgets) onto your workspace to add sorting bins, timers, spinners and more to your activities.
- And/or do not want to have to rely on keeping the CD handy for use on your installation of Boardmaker Studio.
For more details read on…
What’s new with version 1.2?
- Now, students can record and playback their own audio recordings from within an activity, great for students working on articulation, pronunciation and fluency! The feature can be quickly added to any new or existing activities using the included Recording Gadget.
- Added 12 new templates that focus on language instruction strategies especially valuable for English Language Learners (ELLs). These include templates for
- creating visual scenes for building vocabulary
- building sentences to work on grammar and syntax
- the recording and playback of speech for practicing articulation and pronunciation.
Depending on the tools you’re using, it can take time you don’t have to create materials for your classroom. Boardmaker Studio does all of the hard work for you with content that lets you create more activities more quickly.
Starters are a collection of tools already included in Boardmaker Studio. Use Studio Starter Templates to save time creating fun-filled activities. Then, use Studio Gadgets, Studio Reward Animations and sound effects from the Studio Sound Library to dress them up!
Extras are additional tools available for purchase. Choose from ready-made Studio Activity Libraries, interactive Studio Minis and brand new Studio Picture Communication Symbol Collections.
Easy on the eyes
Worried about learning new software? Don’t be. Boardmaker Studio features an interface that speaks to you with a clear toolbar, recognisable menus and icons, obvious navigation tools, templates organised by category and convenient project management tools. Designed to be familiar to people who use Microsoft Office, Boardmaker Studio is easy to learn and easy to use. And, it complements features of Boardmaker Plus!, Boardmaker and Boardmaker with Speaking Dynamically Pro, while bringing style to the table.
Where the magic happens
With Designer, you create, edit and play your Projects in a few swift motions. In Boardmaker Studio, each activity can be a series of pages, and any activity you create is stored as a single Project. No more folders full of pages for a single book!
Interested in making good even better? Use Boardmaker Studio to import, edit and improve all of your Boardmaker print materials, and most of your Boardmaker Plus! materials, too. When you import your Boardmaker materials, take advantage of the new Project filing system, where all related boards are stored in a single project file.
Make getting creative easy
Put cool tools to good use with the easy-to-use toolbar. Like any toolbar, you can use it to perform common functions, like opening and saving projects, undo and redo, and to quickly access the drawing tool and more. It also lets you add objects, like buttons, labels and lines to your page. To add a button, simply drag a button onto your page. There are multiple button types to choose from, including the Symbolate button, which lets you type with symbols and text in seconds.
Find your way. Fast
To make your life easier and your activities come together faster, Boardmaker Studio features the new Navigation pane. It lets you quickly access and edit pages and object settings, like content, font, colour and styles, and add symbols and Gadgets through the Project, Properties, Symbols and Gadgets panels.
The Project panel displays the activities and pages in the currently open project so you can see the different pages of your projects at a glance. Want to reorder the pages of your activity? Just drag the pages up or down the list.
A powerful tool, the Properties panel shows you all the settings needed to make changes to the look or function of the page, or objects on the page. Change the background colour of an activity. Add a symbol to a button. Change the symbol layout and look of multiple buttons at the same time. And more.
The Symbols Panel is a great way to quickly add symbols into several buttons or a grid. Look for the perfect symbols in the symbol category folders, or enter a search term to search for a specific symbol.
A huge time-saver, Gadgets are pre-programmed buttons and objects you can drag onto a page to build or enhance an activity. Organised by functionality, Gadgets can be used to create activities with draggable buttons, add timers to your screen and so much more.
Boardmaker Studio Connect is your gateway to all of the activities you’re creating with Boardmaker Studio. Your home base, Boardmaker Studio Connect gives you quick access to recent projects, and gets you up-and-running fast with new ones. And that’s not all! It also connects you with a community of users, just like you, who are sharing thousands of activities on hundreds of topics on Boardmaker Achieve Community.
Want to get started right away?
Right from Boardmaker Studio Connect, you can start a new activity from scratch, choose from a variety of templates to save time, access projects you’re working on and even open an on-screen activity directly into Play mode – all with a single click.
Ready, set, play!
Boardmaker Studio Connect even lets you open an on-screen activity directly into Play Mode so you can let the good times roll for your students in no time.
Everyone wants to make a connection
Boardmaker Studio Connect gives you direct access to Boardmaker Achieve Community, where you can find and share thousands of activities on hundreds of topics, and connect with other users through groups, discussion forums and implementation articles. Check out Boardmaker Achieve Community today and:
- Take your pick of thousands of FREE activities perfect for your students.
- Join a group and connect with people who use the same resources as you do.
- Browse activities, groups and friends to see what they all have to offer at a glance.
- Find picks and tips from power-users who know what works.
Boardmaker Studio Connect makes working on your activities easier than ever. You decide how you want to approach a project – whether you’re starting a new project from scratch or using a template, or editing and playing an existing project.
- New Project
Create a new, blank project from scratch.
- New from Template
Create a new project based on a template.
Open and edit an existing project in Design mode.
Open and play an existing project in Play mode.
After your activities have been created, you can store them all on Boardmaker Achieve Community.
Want anywhere access? Store your activities on Boardmaker Achieve Community and download them from any computer at any time.
Feeling generous? Share activities that have been a hit with your students with other professionals looking for similar solutions.
Need some inspiration? Find thousands of activities on hundreds of topics, created by professionals just like you, on Boardmaker Achieve Community.
Already using Boardmaker Plus!, Boardmaker or Boardmaker with Speaking Dynamically Pro?
If you’re already a fan of the other products in the Boardmaker Software Family, this is how Studio will work for you.
*Symbol libraries (PC2 files) can be imported into Boardmaker Studio and used as before, but will not take advantage of advanced search capabilities.
NEW! Give every student access to Boardmaker Studio and Boardmaker Plus! activities you create by distributing them to every classroom computer and home computer that has Boardmaker Player software installed!
Videos about Boardmake Studio
- Windows 8 (not Windows RT or Tablet edition), 7, Vista, XP – Compatible with Windows 64-bit
- 1 GHz or faster processor
- 512 MB RAM
- 900 MB of avaliable hard-disk space for installation
- CD-ROM drive for installation only
- Internet connection required for registration and access to www.boardmakerachieve.com only
Simple Touch: Normal mouse-style selection
Touch Enter: Objects must be pressed for a minimum time
Touch Exit: Objects must be pressed for a minimum time and are then selected on release
Scanning: Objects are highlighted in a specific pattern, then selected when the highlight is on the desired object
- Switch (Autoscan): Highlight moves at a specified rate, and a switch is used to select
- Switch: Highlight is moved using one switch, and selected using a second switch
Mouse Pause: Objects are selected by pausing the mouse over them for a minimum time
Frequently Asked Questions
- Pricing Questions
- Product Questions
- Technical Questions
- Compatibility Questions
- Customer Support Questions
View / Download
- Boardmaker Studio Product Brochure (911 KB)
- Boardmaker Studio Questions and Answers (166 KB)
- Boardmaker Studio Start-up Guide (2.5 MB)
- Boardmaker Studio Handbook (3 MB)
- Boardmaker Studio User Guide (23 MB)
- Boardmaker Studio ANZ Trial version for Windows (607 MB)
- Boardmaker Studio Tutorials…
- Free web resources from Mayer-Johnson for Boardmaker Studio at Boardmaker Achieve Community
Online Training and Webinars
- Free Pre-recorded Online Webinar by Spectronics is available for this product | View recorded Online Training Webinar for Boardmaker Studio
- Free Web Classes by Mayer-Johnson
Boardmaker Studio is targeted at the following age ranges:
- All Ages
Boardmaker Studio is designed to foster development in the areas of:
- Early concepts
- Resource preparation
- Use of assistive technology
Users can access Boardmaker Studio in the following ways:
- Mouse/ Trackball/ Joystick
- Single Switch
- Multiple Switches
- Tracker Pro (USB)
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and technical support visit:
Add items to your shopping list for creating an online quote, or purchasing them securely online.
Simply "tick" the boxes next to each item then click "Add Selected Items to List".
Freight free shipping anywhere within Australia or New Zealand!
Prices are listed in Australian Dollars