Comparison between Kurzweil 3000 Professional and Kurzweil 3000 LearnStation
What is the difference between Kurzweil 3000 Professional and Kurzweil 3000 LearnStation (for version 12 and earlier)?
Kurzweil 3000 Professional provides for the creation and delivery of electronic documents.
Some of the features unique to the Kurzweil 3000 Professional version include:
- One-button scanning
- Optical character recognition (OCR)
- Edit Underlying Text
- Zone editing
- Kurzweil Virtual printer (Windows only)
There are two versions of Kurzweil 3000 Professional – colour and black-and-white:
- Kurzweil 3000 Professional Colour enables documents to be scanned (in colour or black-and-white), opened, or converted into the Kurzweil 3000 format. Kurzweil 3000 users who only have one copy of the product typically find it most convenient to have a Kurzweil 3000 Professional Colour which allows them to create and prepare documents as well as use the powerful reading, writing and learning tools.
Educational facilities who need to create quality onscreen reading materials with graphics (such as pictures, graphs) for their students will find the colour version indispensable. As well as making information more visually appealing to readers, including pictures in text can be an important way of helping the reader predict the content of the text. The ability to scan documents in colour ensures that same quality reading and test materials can be made available to all the students in the class.
- Kurzweil 3000 Professional Black-and-White provides the same features as the Professional Colour product, but documents can be scanned in black and white only. Documents that were scanned in colour using the Professional Colour product can be displayed in colour in the Professional Black-and-White version.
Kurzweil 3000 LearnStation allows users to open previously scanned documents as well as other electronic documents. Kurzweil 3000 LearnStation provides the same powerful reading, writing and learning tools as the Kurzweil 3000 Professional.
Documents can not be scanned into the LearnStation version. However, documents created by scanning in colour or black-and-white using the Professional Colour or Black and White product can be loaded and displayed in colour or black-and-white, in the LearnStation version. The LearnStation version will not open or read PDF files.
Users who have more than one copy of Kurzweil 3000 often find it most cost-effective to have a combination of Kurzweil 3000 Professionals and Kurzweil 3000 LearnStations.
Notes about browser support in Kurzweil 3000 for Windows
- Kurzweil 3000 for Windows does not support Netscape Navigator or AOL browsers.
- Kurzweil 3000 version 8 supports Internet Explorer.
- Kurzweil 3000 versions 9 to 11 support Internet Explorer but recommends Mozilla Firefox.
- Kurzweil 3000 version 12 supports Internet Explorer 7-8 and Mozilla Firefox.
Kurzweil 3000 Lab Packs include a mix of Professional and LearnStation software for school or district-wide use.